I’m writing this post mainly because this is something I’m really struggling with right now. I’m in a rut. My life has been so busy and (real talk) I’ve gained 5 pounds in the process. I’m not overweight per-say, but my physical fitness has declined.
My job is taxing. It’s exhausting, and during busy season, I barely have enough energy to make dinner for myself after work. To be blunt, getting a good night’s sleep is more important to me than waking up early to go to an exercise class. I’ve never stayed committed to a gym, so it’s hard to to find an exercise routine that I actually keep up.
When I need to start exercising again, I need to make it fresh or I’ll give up before I even finish lacing up my tennis shoes. So today I’m sharing 5 of my go-to way to start a new exercise routine.
- Soul Cycle. Real talk, I fucking love SoulCycle. It’s a company and a fitness organization that I wholeheartedly believe in. My first class was a beginner “learn the basics” class (they used to offer those) and I was 1000% sure I wasn’t going to make it through alive about halfway through. It was tough. It challenged muscles that hadn’t been used in a long time, maybe ever. But I loved it. And I still love it.
- Sign up for a running race: When you have nothing to work towards, it’s easy to give up. Running is an amazing exercise because it’s free and you can do it anywhere. Sign up for a race, set a training plan for yourself (or find one online!), and get running.
- Workout DVDs. Did anybody else used to watch The Biggest Loser and cry over the contestants’ body transformations? Just me? That show was everything. And if you’ve never purchased a Bob Harper workout DVD and had Bob yell at you through an entire workout, you have not lived. This one is my favorite.
- Try exercises you’ve never tried before. Before I tried a spin class, I thought I would hate it. But it turned out to be my favorite kind of exercise class. I want to start swimming again soon, which is something that I used to do growing up.
- YouTube Workouts. If you’ve never been exposed to the vast world of YouTubers and the YouTube community, I can change all of that. I used to work at a YouTube management network, actually. I can give a TED Talk about YouTubers. Anyways, there’s a lot of great fitness YouTubers who post free workouts on their YouTube pages. Some popular ones are Tone It Up, Blogilates, and Love Sweat Fitness.
What are some way you kick start your exercising? Are you in a rut right now?